There is never enough of the “good stuff” in store bought cereals, no matter how much you pay for them. This easy, delicious cereal makes great gifts and I have sold many bags of it at events and farmer’s markets. Every item can be bought in bulk at your local health food store and coffee bags (that can usually also be bought there) are a great way to store it. The recipe doubles easily and extra can be kept fresh in the freezer until ready to eat.
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
5 cups bran flakes
2 1/4 cups whole oats(not quick oats)
1 3/4 cups sliced almonds
1 3/4 cups walnuts or pecans
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut (sweetened or not, you decide)
2 cups of any combination of raisins, dried apricots, golden raisins, chopped dates (not sugared), dried cranberries or other berry.
1. Lightly oil two large heavy baking sheets- spray works best. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a small saucepan heat the honey, oil, and spices until heated and well mixed. Do not boil.
3. In a large bowl mix the bran flakes, oats, nuts and coconut. Pour the honey mixture over and mix well. Your hands work great for this.
4. Bake the granola for approximately 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. It is done when it is lightly browned and starting to crisp. Do not overcook.
5. Sprinkle dried fruit over the top and let cool. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!